If you find yourself stumbling over weird abbreviations in a real estate listing, don't be alarmed.
When listings are entered into the MLS, there is limited space in the description areas. That is why we need to use the abbreviations. Ideally, one day space will be unlimited and we will be better able to describe the homes in complete sentences without abbreviations.
Until then, here are some of the more common abbreviations and their meanings:
- ATT — Attached. Could be house or garage
- BR or BDRM — Bedroom
- BSMT — Basement
- CAC — Central Air Conditioning
- CH — Center Hall
- DET — Detached. Could be house or garage
- DK — Deck
- EIK — Eat in Kitchen
- FDR — Formal dining room
- FPL — Fireplace
- FLR — Formal Living Room
- FB — Full Bath
- HDWD — Hardwood Floors
- IG — In Ground. Will be followed by either sprinklers or pool
- IGP — Inground Pool
- IGS — Inground Sprinklers
- KIT — Kitchen
- MBR — Master Bedroom
- O/S — Over Sized
- OSE — Outside Entrance. Usually in a basement
- PVT — Private
- SH — Side Hall
- SS — Stainless Steel (Appliances)
- SD — School District
- WIC — Walk in Closet
I am sure that there are some that I have missed, but these are the most commonly used that you will see.
Let me know how I can help you to achieve your real estate goals.
Five Towns Real Estate Guide
Pugatch Realty Corp