.

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning - Spread the word

Korman Family
Korman Family

Dear Community Members,

We the Korman family from Far Rockaway would like to share our personal Chanukah MIRACLE with you. Some of you may know who we are, and some may not, but our identity is not important because this story could be about you.  All day last Friday, my wife and I walked around complaining of headaches and feeling quite tired.  We made no big deal of it, as we are blessed with a 3 month old who likes to keep us up at night.  Friday night we thought to ourselves, wow our little munchkin must be growing, as she was waking up more than usual making sure we didn’t sleep much.  At about 6AM, during our infant feeding hour, our 5 year old daughter let out a wild scream.  We ran into her room to see what was wrong.  As we approached her, she looked at us with crazed eyes and screamed again and then her body went limp.  We took her to the bathroom where she began to retch and after vomiting she was slowly able to stand and move her body.  She then complained of a headache, so naturally like any Jewish parent, we gave her a wet shamata for her head and took her temperature.  As we were about to call Hatzalah, our very calm and loving 8 year old son screamed on the top of his lungs “I CANT TAKE THE CRYING!” (Referring of course to our baby which we left to fend for herself and she was letting us know that she was not happy about it.) We ran to his room and found him drenched in sweat, unable to stand, and retching.  Naturally we ran him to the bathroom.  Our 5 year old wanted to see what was happening so she got off the couch and as soon as she got into the bathroom vomited again, passed out and once again was unable to move her body.  We called Hatzalah, who we are so grateful to, and within minutes they were in our house measuring the oxygen saturation of our children.  Suddenly, the paramedic yelled “everyone out of the house and into the ambulance now!….we had carbon monoxide poisoning!

Carbon monoxide is a deadly, colorless, odorless and tasteless poisonous gas which many people never survive to talk about. We did not have functional carbon monoxide detectors at the time, Hashem was truly watching over our family.  When someone goes through such a situation you are left with the feeling of what do I do with this? Where do I channel it?   We have decided to take it upon ourselves to share our story and educate the public to ensure that this will never happen to you. 

We therefore ask you to check to make sure you have working non expired carbon monoxide detectors with backup batteries.  Call your alarm company to make sure you are covered for carbon monoxide and of course pass this lesson along to family and friends.    As we lit the candles Motzei Shabbos *Saturday night we had tears in our eyes and thankfulness in our hearts, as we were truly celebrating and understanding the meaning of a “Nais Gadol.” (a BIG Miracle)

Please share the message with your family and friends - you can save a life.

Chaya Indig December 08, 2013 at 09:51 AM
The blech was NOT on. The cause of the Carbon Monoxide was found to be coming from the boiler which was 12 years old and filled with soot.
Chaya Indig December 08, 2013 at 06:32 PM
Mr. Ed - Your focus is on the wrong thing. The goal of the publication of this article was to spread awareness and to make sure that people DO have functional non-expired Carbon Monoxide detectors, just like yourself. However, we have found from people who have read this article, or have heard of our story that hundreds of people don't have detectors and didn't even know that they were required or what carbon monoxide is/does. So Mr. Ed, you seem to be missing the point of the story - rather than focusing on the miracle it's about the awareness. Spread the word, not the tude.
Lice Nurse December 08, 2013 at 09:17 PM
Thank you for posting Beth what an amazing story.
Leah Clair December 26, 2013 at 08:09 PM
Dear Indig Family Indeed, the miracle is that none of you have lasting effects or worse from the poisoning. And your PSM about detectors is both timely and welcome. Baruch Hashem that your family is well.
Chaya Indig December 26, 2013 at 11:39 PM
A big thank you to everyone who have been supportive and spreading the word. My sister, a kickboxing instructor at one of the local gyms, is now noticed for this scary experience, as opposed to her fun, intense kickboxing class - people she's never seen and don't know have been stopping her and thanking her. We have heard that this story has been translated in several languages and has been spread through out the world.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »