This letter was submitted by Noah G.
On Saturday night (Feb. 11) at approximately 9:00 p.m., a suspicious white van with two black occupants was observed near the corner of Pine Street and Central Avenue in Woodmere. Several hours later, a home on Pine Street was burglarized. Baruch Hashem no one was home. As of this writing there is no indication of forced entry.
The homeowner was not gone for long.
(Editor's note: Police confirmed the burglary took place at 2:30 a.m. Proceeds were a laptop computer and jewelry. The homeowner had left the residence at 2:20 and came back and noticed the things were missing.)
There have been several reports of home and vehicle burglaries recently in the Five Towns. Therefore, please be vigilant, report suspicious vehicles or people and consider some of the suggestions below:
1. Use your alarm! Even when home, most have a “stay” mode. If you are away, arm it.
2. Do not leave valuables in plain sight. Consider that a GPS mount on the windshield without a GPS in it suggests that it is in the car. Even loose change has been reason enough for vehicle break-ins.
3. Doors and windows should be locked. Children come in from school and sometimes forget to lock the door (if they even remember to close it).
4. Make sure your home is well lit at night and the house number clearly visible.
5. If you are on vacation:
a. Cancel your newspaper (a few days’ of newspaper in the front of the house is an invitation).
b. Suspend mail delivery (if the mailbox is full…another clear indication) or have a neighbor take it in daily.
c. Leave random lights on timers. Makes the home appear occupied.
6. Those that employ domestic help may be vulnerable. Keep valuables out of their sight. Consider changing the alarm code when away on vacation (just call your alarm company for instructions).
a. Note: there is no evidence in this particular case that it was an “inside job,” but it has been the case in other instances.
I am told that vigilant neighbors in this case contacted police and provided a license plate number.