Editor's note: The source of the leak was updated.
Fifteen people were treated by local fire departments for carbon monoxide inhalation on Monday in North Lawrence after a leak was discovered at a commercial food shipping company, according to the chief of the .
A call came in to the department at around 3:05 p.m. about people feeling nauseous and experiencing headaches at , located at 220 Lawrence Ave., Chief Joseph Sperber said. Members of LCFD evacuated the building and donned protective equipment. They found extreme levels of carbon monoxide in the building and called the Nassau County Hazardous Materials Unit to assist.
Seven people were sent to the hospital for further treatment, Sperber said. Two people were moderately ill and transported to Nassau University Medical Center; the others transported were in stable condition.
Longtime exposure to carbon monoxide can be lethal.
The source of the leak was determined to be a faulty forklift, which caused the gas to build up in the building. The building was ventilated with high-pressure fans.
“Once we ID’d the source of the CO and secured those units and ventilated the building, the situation seemed to rectify and the levels went to normal again,” Sperber said. “The people realized the seriousness and called right away.”
The , , and Valley Stream fire departments, as well as the Nassau County Police Department, sent ambulances to the scene. The Meadowmere Park department stood by for additional calls.