A fire that started in the basement of the restaurant in Lawrence Friday morning caused several neighboring Central Avenue stores to fill up with smoke and the street to be closed, according to the .
Around 7:09 a.m., LCFD was alerted to an unknown type of fire, according to Chief Joseph Sperber, who commanded operations at the scene. Firefighters saw smoke in , which was evacuated, upon their arrival. Smoke was also discovered in other nearby stores.
“An electrical fire was located in the basement of Traditions restaurant,” said LCFD Deputy Chief Anthony Rivelli. “Firefighters contained the stubborn blaze to the area of origin, but had to wait until the electric was disconnected to fully extinguish it.”
Firefighters contained the blaze until LIPA workers arrived and cut the power. The blaze was then extinguished.
Electrical contractors were brought in to get the stores fully operational, Rivelli said.
The Inwood and Hewlett fire departments assisted in the operation.
Fourth Precinct officers closed down Central Avenue between Rockaway Turnpike and William Street and a small stretch of Central Avenue during the incident.
The scene was secured at 8:45 a.m.