.

Blaze Causes Damage at Kosher Supermarket

Smoke damage to first floor of Gourmet Glatt will likely keep its doors closed for days, fire chief says.

A fire broke out in the basement of Cedarhurst kosher supermarket early Thursday morning, causing damage that will most likely keep its doors closed for days, according to the chief of the Lawrence-Cedarhurst Fire Department.

The department received the call about the fire at 12:39 a.m. and the blaze was under control in 30 minutes, Chief Joseph Sperber said. Responders were in the building searching for hidden pockets of fire until 2 a.m.

Two employees who were in the building were treated by medical personnel for smoke inhalation.

Gourmet Glatt’s basement contains a food preparation area and a freezer box. The cause of the fire may have been electrical-based, according to Sperber. The Nassau County Fire Marshal did not deem it suspicious.

Although the blaze caused substantial damage to the basement, the store had a fire suppression system that stopped the fire from spreading, Sperber said. Responders also kept the fire contained to the basement.

However, there was smoke damage to the first floor of the building, and the health department will have to inspect Gourmet Glatt before they can reopen, according to Sperber.

No one picked up the phone at Gourmet Glatt Thursday morning.

The Inwood, Hewlett, Woodmere, Valley Stream and Long Beach fire departments also responded to the scene.

HURST TOOL November 12, 2011 at 09:36 AM
Great job by the LCFD!

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »