Blaze Put Out at Sandy-Affected Home in Inwood

Candles most likely cause of the fire, Inwood fire chief says.

Reporting by Nikki Segal

An Inwood home was badly damaged in a fire Sunday night, but no injuries were reported.

The home, on Bayswater Boulevard near Sheridan Boulevard, caught fire around 6 p.m. The area is still in the dark, with only the fire trucks providing light Sunday night.

“The fire started on the first floor, to the back of the house, went up the rear of the building, and to the second floor,” said Rich Magliaro, Chief of Inwood Fire Department.

To keep up to date on all Five Towns news, like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

He said the blaze was put out relatively quickly, around an hour, by 45 firefighters from the Inwood, Lawrence-Cedarhurst, Meadowmere Park, Woodmere, Hewlett and Valley Stream fire departments.

The cause of the fire is currently under investigation, but Magliaro said he believes candles started it.

He then issued a very concerned warning to residents still without power: “Please, nobody use candles!” While he understood that people are without power, using them is just too dangerous.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »