A German shepherd perished and two people were injured after a laundry room fire broke out late Wednesday night in an Atlantic Beach home, according to police and fire officials.
At 11:15 p.m., the 60-year-old Atlantic Boulevard male homeowner was alerted by his 26-year-old son that the laundry room was on fire. The two men, along with a two women, ages 55 and 21, were able to exit the home.
Firefighters brought the family’s dog out of the house, and Long Beach Fire Department Second Assistant Chief Robert Tuccillo attempted mouth-to-mouth resuscitation, according to Chief Richard Corbett. However, the dog succumbed to its injuries.
LBFD, along with the Lawrence-Cedarhurst and Inwood fire departments, responded to the scene and extinguished the fire with eight trucks and 50 fire personnel within about 90 minutes, Corbett said. The Point Lookout Fire Department was the initial responder. Town of Hempstead Animal Control was also on the scene.
The homeowner suffered a minor burn to his forehead and was treated at the scene. A Long Beach firefighter sustained a minor back injury after falling through the attic floor and was treated and released at a local hospital.
There was extensive fire and water damage to the house.
The fire has been deemed non-suspicious. The investigation is ongoing.