.

MVAC Members Lose Nearly Everything in Cornwell Avenue Fire

Malverne Volunteer Ambulance Corps collecting donations for Chris and Shannon Orlik.

Malverne Volunteer Ambulance Corps EMTs Chris and Shannon Orlik left their home Monday night to respond to an emergency on the Southern State Parkway, but when they returned to their Cornwell Avenue apartment, they soon discovered they were the ones who needed help.

A fire broke out in the second-floor apartment that the couple rents shortly before 8 p.m. The Orliks and their dog, Cody, were not harmed and volunteer firefighters from Malverne with help from those from Lakeview, Elmont, Valley Stream and Franklin Square were able to contain the blaze to the home's extension and a dividing wall. However, the fire destroyed nearly all their possessions and their home.

Now, as they work to rebuild their lives, the Malverne Volunteer Ambulance Corps, of which Chris serves as vice president and Shannon is assistant captain, is reaching out to the community on their behalf.

"MVAC would ask any resident, friend, or Good Samaritan, if they would like to, donate to the Orliks and help [them] rebuild so they can continue their good works as volunteers for the Village of Malverne and continue their never ending support to all those whom the MVAC serves," read a statement posted on MVAC's Web site. 

Since the Orliks are in the process of searching for a new place to live, MVAC has offered to collect the donations for them for "safe-keeping." Checks can be mailed to or dropped off at the Malverne Volunteer Ambulance Corps' Headquarters, which is located at 11 Hempstead Ave., Malverne, next to Harris Field. (The mail box is located next to the side door of the building.)

Since MVAC can not accept any check made out to the "Malverne Volunteer Ambulance Corps" for the Orliks, it asks that donors please make sure all checks are made payable to "Chris and Shannon Orlik."

If you have any questions, you can call MVAC headquarters at 516-341-7353.

joseph a. December 15, 2012 at 12:34 PM
What they just went thru is a shame and they should be helped anyway possible. One question... looking at the home is the owner renting out an illegal apartment? You did state in the article 2nd floor apartment.
Malverne Resident December 15, 2012 at 02:51 PM
Same structure, different address. And it was a second floor fire in the second "home." That house is one of the oldest houses in malverne, I believe it used to be a farm house for a berry farm.
Tara Conry December 15, 2012 at 09:56 PM
It is a legal apartment. I checked with a local realtor who was at the scene.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »