.

Nassau Approves Funds to Finish Repairs at Bay Park

The Nassau County Legislature last week approved a plan to borrow about $465 million from a state agency to repair the stricken Bay Park Sewage Treatment Plant.

The interest-free loan comes from the New York State Environmental Facilities Corporation. Under the plan, 90 percent of the repair expenses will be reimbursed by Federal Emergency Management Agency and the remaining 10 percent will be reimbursed by Federal Community Development Block Grant funds provided to Nassau County by Gov. Andrew Cuomo.

“My administration continues to aggressively move forward in repairing the Hurricane Sandy-damaged Bay Park Sewage Treatment Plant while strengthening the facility from future storms,” County Executive Edward Mangano said in the release. “This funding is a critical step in achieving the long-term health of the plant and protecting our local neighborhoods, waterways and environment.”

The plant, which services 500,000 Nassau residents, was shut down for two days after 9 feet of saltwater entered the facility during Sandy. The greatest damage was done to the plant’s electrical system, according to Legislator Howard Kopel (R-Lawrence).

“I am very grateful that we have finally been able to procure all of the funding needed to repair

the plant and prepare it against future storms,” Kopel said. “I am particularly thankful to the plant workers and the surrounding community for tolerating the plant’s conditions during the months that we fought to obtain the funding.”

The $465 million authorized today will fund six major projects at the Bay Park plan, according to the release:

  • Building a system of dikes, levees, and/or movable flood walls around the entire plant to provide protection against the 100-year storm and account for anticipated sea level rise.

  • Elevating and hardening the electrical plant distribution system.

  • Elevating and/or hardening 57 pump stations that serve one million residents to protect from floods.

  • Eliminating the sanitary sewer overflow condition that occurred at Barnes Avenue

  • Hardening and replacing the sludge dewatering equipment and building damaged during Sandy.

Mangano said he continues to pursue funding for an ocean outfall pipe that will further protect local waterways and commercial fishing industry.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something